I recently finished reading Decoding Boys: New Science Behind the Subtle Art of Raising Boys by Cara Natterson, M.D. and highly recommend it for parents of boys about to enter puberty or those who have already begun and are in the midst of it. In short, it delves into topics like:
- recognizing the first signs of puberty and talking to our boys about the wide range of “normal”;
- why teens make irrational decisions even though they look mature;
- managing video game and screen time, including discussing the unrealistic and dangerous nature of pornography;
- why boys need emotional and physical contact with parents and how to give it in ways they will accept; and
- teaching consent and sensitivity in the #MeToo culture.
The appeal for much of what Dr. Natterson writes is the material’s grounding in science. Moreover, her advice for parents is also practical and concrete. Do yourself a favor and grab a copy of Decoding Boys and visit Dr. Natterson’s website too.